IGD-TP Exchange Forum 8
3rd December 2018 to 4th December 2018
German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi),
GermanyView on Google Maps
The IGD-TP is delighted to announce Exchange Forum 8 will be held this December.
Registration is now open – please register here. We look forward to seeing you there!
Don’t forget the poster abstract submission deadline is 30 September 2018.
We are delighted to announce that the IGD-TP’s eighth Exchange Forum will be hosted by BMWi in Berlin this December and is open to all IGD-TP members and stakeholders (technical or not) interested in geological disposal of radioactive waste.
For eight years now the IGD-TP Executive Group, comprising European waste management organisations (WMOs) and organisations responsible for implementation-related RD&D programmes representing eleven different nations, have been meeting three times per year to progress joint radioactive waste management RD&D. During this timeframe the IGD-TP has implemented working groups which have discussed, initiated and, in many cases, now delivered technical projects aligned around our commonly-agreed priorities that are documented in our Strategic Research Agenda (SRA). To date, achievements of our platform include:
- Following up nine FP7 projects (totalling 61M€/28M€ EC) all of which have successfully completed and the majority of which have been debriefed back to the community via previous exchange fora (e.g. PEBS, MODERN, FIRST-NUCLIDES, REDUPP, BELBaR, DOPAS and LUCOEX);
- Led scope development and needs driven alignment of four Horizon 2020 projects in WP 2014-2015 (MODERN2020, CEBAMA, MIND and JOPRAD), totalling 21M€/15M€ EC funding;
- Led scope development and needs driven alignment of a further four Horizon 2020 projects in WP 2016-2017 (~16M€ EC funding), which started in June 2017 (THERAMIN, BEACON, DISCO and CHANCE).
- Contributed towards the scope development and needs driven alignment of many of the developing European Joint Programme Work packages, particularly GAS, CORI, HITEC, SFC, UMAN and ROUTES.
Objectives and Scope
The IGD-TP’s eighth Exchange Forum (EF8) will be a two-day event, with a dual focus. The first day will be dedicated to the developing European Joint Programme on Radioactive Waste Management (EURAD) and the second will focus on implementation-related opportunities for collaboration between IGD-TP members and their common research needs that sit outside of the scope of EURAD.
Representatives of the future EURAD Project Management Office (PMO) will lead sessions dedicated to:
- Presenting the R&D topics, strategic/networking studies and knowledge management activities that comprise the initial scope of EURAD.
- Presenting the shared EURAD Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) and collaboratively identifying possible additional topic suggestions.
- Brainstorming possible future projects/scope for a second wave of EURAD-1 (noting that the outputs of this brainstorming session would be sent to the future EURAD Governance Team for their consideration/use).
- Updating the community on the expected EURATOM Call WP2019-2020.
The change to a Joint Programme approach for EC-funded research means that the IGD-TP Executive Group will now focus more intently on direct implementation-related opportunities for collaboration between members and their common research needs that sit outside of the scope of EURAD. Therefore, the IGD-TP Executive Group will lead sessions on the second day of EF8 that aim to:
- Communicate the changing needs and drivers for radioactive waste management research (in light of the complimentary and parallel EURAD project).
- Update IGD-TP members on the platform’s activities during 2017 and 2018.
- Collectively explore collaborative opportunities for implementation-related research projects that are complementary, but separate to, the common areas of interest being addressed via the EURAD. Initially, we will do this by discussing the current status, challenges and potential solutions in three specific technical topic areas (see below).
This Exchange Forum will help to prepare for future collaborative implementation-related RD&D that is complimentary to the EURAD activities and which can be progressed in parallel. The three technical topic areas that the Executive Group would like to focus on at EF8 are:
Technical topic 1: “Technical issues in support of retrievability”
Technical topic 2: “High-heat generating waste (HHGW) containers”
Technical topic 3: “Advanced site characterisation techniques”
At the end of day 1, the IGD-TP will host an evening poster session that aims to showcase cutting-edge radioactive waste management RD&D that aligns to the IGD-TP’s SRA. Exchange Forum participants are strongly encouraged to submit poster applications that are consistent with this goal.
Why You Should Attend
There are many reasons why you should attend including:
- Find out the latest information on the EURAD proposal and other EC calls.
- Explore the potential for future collaborative research with IGD-TP members.
- Informally discuss new issues and the current status of WMO programmes.
- See what is happening at the EU level.
- Discover emerging RD&D developments.
- Take advantage of great networking opportunities.
Practical Information and Key Dates
Participation is free of charge, but registration of participants is mandatory. Please register here.
Free-standing magnetic whiteboards will be provided for the poster session (magnets will be available). The whiteboard dimensions are 1,20 m (height) x 1,50m (width), so size A0 posters may be used.
German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi), Invalidenstraße 48, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Please note that additional time will need to be allowed to gain entrance to the building each day and appropriate identification is required.
There are many hotel options in the proximity of BMWi’s office, including the following possibilities:
- Mercure Hotel Berlin City (https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-5341-mercure-hotel-berlin-city/index.shtml)
- Hotel ibis Berlin Hauptbahnhof (https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-8601-ibis-berlin-hauptbahnhof/index.shtml)
- IntercityHotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof (https://www.intercityhotel.com/en/hotels/all-hotels/germany/berlin/intercityhotel-berlin-hauptbahnhof)
- Hotel Motel One Berlin Hauptbahnhof (https://www.motel-one.com/en/hotels/berlin/hotel-berlin-hauptbahnhof/)
- Hotel Augustinenhof (https://www.hotel-augustinenhof.de/en/)
- Hotel Grenzfall (http://en.hotel-grenzfall.de/bernauer-strasse/)
|11 July 2018||First announcement|
|1 August 2018||Registration opens|
|12 September 2018||Second announcement|
|30 September 2018||Poster abstract submission deadline|
|31 October 2018||Registration deadline and final agenda published|
|3-4 December 2018||Exchange Forum 8|
Further information will be added to this page as soon as it is available. For any other questions please contact email@example.com
Description: IGD-TP Exchange Forum 8 - First Announcement (12 July 2018)
Last updated: July 12, 2018
Description: IGD-TP Exchange Forum 8 - Second Announcement (12 September 2018)
Last updated: September 12, 2018